Sunday, August 12, 2007

More Iran news

Interesting post on Iran on the "truthout" blog. Excerpt:

On July 25, the Tehran-based English language newspaper "The Iran Times" published an article saying that the supreme leader of Iran has issued an order to the Iranian president that he is not allowed to produce a nuclear weapon, and furthermore that all Iranian nuclear aims will be peaceful. An Iranian man sipping coffee with his breakfast reads over the article and explains how much power the Supreme Leader has. "The supreme leader has the real power after the revolution. He controls the Republican Guard and the Guardian Council, so his orders are law." The Republican Guard is similar to the Special Forces in the United States, but is under direct control of the Supreme Leader.

No comments:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Iran 2007. Make your own badge here.
......

Archive of Posts

(starting with oldest)

About this blog

Although I didn't end up blogging while I was in Iran, I still want to share my experiences and impressions. I'll (hopefully) write each day about one day's experiences (much as if I were writing while on the trip, although inevitably the perspective is different). I'll also write separate posts to collect and summarize my thoughts and impressions on specific topics (i.e., the revolution, the government, women, etc.), based both on observations and on prior reading.

Comments Policy

Comments are welcome; offensive comments will be deleted. It's my blog, so I will be the sole and arbitrary judge of what is offensive. People seeking to insult (or advocate harm to) others can post that crap on their own blogs. Rationale: I have visited too many interesting blogs whose comments are a waste of space, full of ridiculously petty arguments and traded insults. (Boring!) Comments whining about the policy will also be deleted.